TrueCaller is spying on you. Chances are you’ve utilized TrueCaller at some point to identify unknown callers. Launched in 2009, this app has been a go-to for many, but recent revelations suggest that there might be more to TrueCaller than meets the eye.
How Truecaller may expose your phone’s activity
Despite its widespread use, TrueCaller has come under scrutiny for privacy concerns in the past. However, the focus here is on a feature that raises serious privacy alarms: TrueCaller’s ability to share your phone activity with the world.
Unveiling the Concerns:
- Public Contacts: TrueCaller not only accesses your contacts but makes them public, potentially exposing your network to the world.
- Invasive Last Seen Feature: Upon installing the application and syncing your contacts, you’ll discover a disconcerting feature – the ability to see their last seen status in the app. Unlike messaging apps like WhatsApp, TrueCaller’s last seen doesn’t reflect the last time your contacts used the app; instead, it indicates the last time they used their devices. The app operates in the background, silently updating your phone usage status without your knowledge.
Privacy Invasion Scenario:
Imagine attempting to discreetly manage your online presence, perhaps avoiding the watchful eyes of your boss or an ex-partner. Despite your efforts, TrueCaller will betray your activities, revealing the exact timestamp of your last phone usage.
What Should You Do?
Your initial response might be to delete TrueCaller from your phone. However, if you must continue using it, the temporary solution is to prevent the app from running in the background.
For iPhone Users:
- Navigate to Settings >> General >> Background App Refresh.
- Locate TrueCaller and toggle the switch to turn off background refresh (change from green to off).
For Android Users:
- Go to Settings >> Data Usage.
- Tap the three dots on the top right.
- Select “Restrict Background Data” and confirm.
Conclusion: While TrueCaller may offer convenience in identifying unknown callers, it comes at a potential cost to your privacy. Stay informed, weigh the risks, and take necessary steps to protect your personal information in the ever-evolving landscape of mobile applications.