Selling your iPhone might not be safe. If you want to sell your iPhone or give it away ,Â you should make sure that your information is erased so that the next phone owner won’t have access to your information and violate your privacy.
how safe is it to sell your phone?
Although many phones were reportedly used by hackers to recover data to blackmail their previous owners., The good news is that, in general, most iPhones are pretty effective at securely removing your data when you’re done with the device. However There are still some risks. Use these steps to backup your device and remove your personal information before passing your device:
Backup your current iOS Device,
You can either back it up to iCloud or to your PC.Â To backup your iPhone on iCloud :
- Make sure that your device is connected to Wifi
- go to Settings > iCloud > Backup, make sure it’s turned on
- then click on Backup now and wait till it’s done.
To backup your iPhone on Your pc
- make sure that you have installed iTunes
- Plugin your iPhone.
- Just click Back Up Now.Â If you’re using Windows click File > Devices > Back up
Additionally you can backup all your media library for free on Google Photos.
How to securely erase all your content
- Sign out from iCloud before deleting anything from your phone to avoid erasing it from iCloud. Tap Settings > iCloud. Scroll down and tap Sign Out
- Go to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.Â If you turned on Find My iPhone, you might need to enter your Apple ID and password.
- if asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].
iPhone uses hardware encryption method to encrypt your data, and erasing all content and settings will securely delete your data. as iOS will overwrite all of your data with random information to prevent it from being read later. Either way, although using iPhone’s built in erasing method is secure, as a tech blogger and hacker, i do advise you not to sell your phone, simply because bad people will always find a way to cause harm. Many secure algorithms and methods has failed users before, and you should take that into consideration when you’re planning to sell any phone.
So is it safe to sell your iPhone? Probably Yes, but there is still a small percentage that your case might be otherwise.